Monday, August 15, 2016

108-Days of Practice: First 20 Days

25 July - 13 Aug
Boss metronome/tuner, and my logbook
Overall:
With a little more than two weeks in the books, the project started well, but keeping the schedule was challenging.  Some days I got a good two-hours or so, but there were days when I struggled to hit that 30-min minimum that I established at the beginning.

Practice:
Much of my practice has focused on using the metronome.  Awkward at first, now I am really enjoying it. BPM is usually set at either 120, or 80 for practicing on my own without a track running in the background.  

To avoid the dreaded "noodling," I am practicing the major scale, while speaking aloud the note position on one run, then its name on the second.  Again, this is practiced with a metronome.  Within the scale, I try fining catchy melodies while focusing on incorporating those bottom two strings (D & G).  
My alternate, "summer-time" practice space

Something else I am intentionally focusing on is my right-hand picking; nice smooth consistent striking of the strings, rather than accidental pulling up on the string and having it clank the note.  

Application: 
Last Sunday I was able to apply some of what I have practiced-- namely using the D & G strings.  For instance, one song featured a   C - F - A - G progression, and I explored playing the A and G on those bottom two strings at the 7th fret.  Again, not having a drummer with the band I had to focus on the basics, then when the song had additional space, I would throw in the higher octaves for a little spice. 

During rehearsals I also applied my major scale exercise to include a few passing notes that fit the specific chord.  When used sparingly,I was able to fill the empty spaces where the drums would normally be. 
Proof is in the pudding
Gear-notes: 
I am really enjoying the new Kiesel Vanquish.  Playing finger-style over the pickups is a real joy because the pickup radius matches that of the fingerboard; that radius really makes a difference.  While working on my right-hand technique, I've discovered a tuneful sweet spot-- just behind the neck humbucker.  Notes played here seem to have a round, warm tone that reacts to  subtleties in my playing.

Upcoming:
Practice routine will remain the same as there is a lot more to learn there.  Song analysis and deconstruction of our songs, and I really want to dig into a "Duck" Dunn tune.  

There are a few video ideas I've had in mind, so I may get to those.  You may have noticed I mentioned playing a Vanquish bass; yessiree-- there is a NBD post brewing as we speak, so...

...stay tuned, and in tune!

No comments:

Post a Comment