Monday, February 27, 2017

Music Room Remodel Pt. 3: Complete!

While there are a few small things I still need (desk lamp, something to cover tv/speaker wires...) the project is complete.  One of the things I'm happiest with is the supports for the guitar hangers:


The various nicks & dings seen above are from my drill slipping off the screw head... So I drilled pilot holes for the screws and drove them by hand.


Having the bolts recessed allowed me to cover them with the outside hangers.  Naturally the wall studs didn't line up with my design plans for the supports, so I chose to use "Toggler" which thankfully worked as advertised.

Dealing with the slanted celling was a little tricky; I decided to step things down visually from right to left:



With the supports and guitar hangers installed, the final two puzzle pieces were acquired & installed over the weekend.  First I needed a desk.  

Before making the long trip up to the Seattle area to visit Ikea and the local re-stores around town, I decided to visit our state's surplus store-- a place I recently discovered.  


At best I thought I might find something to use as a base for a new desk top... however, I was able to score a computer desk in excellent condition for only $15!


Having saved a bundle on the desk, I was able to put a little more money toward a tv/sound-bar system.  Our local Buy More had everything I needed for the tv setup and the cables needed to connect my laptop to the tv.  To secure the TV mount to the drywall I attempted to use "Toggler Self-Drilling Drywall Anchors 65lbs" 


The package claims that you don't need a drill to install the anchor... that wasn't the case for me.  First the anchors did not penetrate the drywall and instead smashed into a useless wad of plastic.  So I drilled a small pilot hole... but the anchor busted off half way in.  Eventually I succeeded by drilling a pair of 5/16" holes for the anchors, then patched and painted the earlier attempts.


All of the above brings us to the finished product.  A month or so after beginning, the claustrophobic, dimly lit attic room has become a brightly lit useful practice space.


Before:




After:




































Over the next few weeks I may tweak things a little, but all-in-all it's completed, and I'm thrilled to have a new practice space.
As the weather improves I will tackle a few other projects around the house, which are welcome deviations from music; the more creative outlets the better!


Soon to come: Fender American Standard P-bass vs. G&L LB-100...


...Stay tuned & in tune!



No comments:

Post a Comment