Thursday, June 8, 2017

Test Drive: Rickenbacker 4003

Last month I took a test drive of a major icon in the bass world; the Rickenbacker 4003.

Geddy Lee & his Rickenbacker; "Exit Stage Left"
The reason I was so excited to take the Rick for a test spin, is 100% due to seeing Geddy Lee playing his Ric 4001 on the "Exit Stage Left" video-- the very thing that inspired me to play guitar/bass.  Knowing nothing about guitars back then, I looked at the Rickenbacker's non-symmetrical headstock on Geddy's bass and thought, "Wow! His guitar is busted and he's still playing the heck out of it!"  Now, many years later I get to try out the modern version of that classic bass for the first time-- I couldn't wait!

New Rickenbacker 4003 is a beautiful thing!
Located in the "Platinum Room" of a national guitar retailer, the salesman climbed to the top of a ladder, freed the bass from a locked hanger, then handed me the black beauty.  Finding a uncrowded corner, I admired every aspect of the instrument.  

Fit & Finish:
Its black finish was flawless and all the parts felt stout.  However, the tuning posts (where strings are wound) were much smaller than those found on Fender-type basses, though the tuning keys were very similar.  Medium-jumbo frets looked properly finished, the rosewood fingerboard was rich in color and the binding/distinctive pearoid inlays looked fantastic!  

Feel/sound: 
Oh my, that string action!
Overall the bass felt somewhat smaller than I imagined it.  Its narrow & thin body felt comfortable to play and was relatively lightweight.  The neck felt chunky and nicely rounded at the sides, but from front to back was somewhat shallow (not chunky like a baseball bat).  

The only disappointing element was the super high string action, a problem that this particular store is infamous for.  Normally, string action is a fairly simple problem to correct on most basses... but not on the Ric due to the bridge design.  
A "Platinum Room" setup at a national retailer
A good luthier could probably adjust the bass to correct the high action, but at additional cost.  On an instrument costing over $1800, located under lock & key in a "Platinum Room" I expect it to at least be within factory specs.  Despite its crazy string action, it sounded fantastic-- just what one expects to hear.  
Prior to the test drive while on my way to the shop, I was secretly hoping to fall in love with the bass, and fantasized that my wife would happily encourage me to leave the shop as a new Rickenbacker 4003 owner.  The bass still hangs on the shop's wall today, waiting for someone with more money and patience than I.  A great instrument in every respect (sans poor setup), I hope to add one to my collection someday soon. Until then... 
...stay tuned & in tune!   


No comments:

Post a Comment