Saturday, June 28, 2014

New Perspectives

An old maxim declares "...everything in life can be learned through music." The deeper I get into studying music, the more I find truth in this claim. 

For instance, one of the greatest benefits of learning a new instrument is the need to see-- or in this case listen-- through completely new perspectives. This is a most valuable skill to apply in all aspects of ones life. The ability to see beyond your own perspective presents an entire world of new possibilities.

Subliminal Imaging-- A bass guitar!
Musically, I experienced this when I decided to learn to play the bass guitar. After years of being a rhythm guitarist and listening to music from a guitarists perspective (identifying the model of guitar being played-- Fender or Gibson, single coils or humbuckers, what kind of amplifier-- Fender blackface, or tweed, Marshall combo or stack...) I began concentrating on what the bassist was doing. Knowing very little about the instrument at the time, I was free from trying to figure out what type of bass, amp, effects, etc. were being used and listen to the music.

When listening to my favorite songs from this new perspective I was amazed at how much I had been missing. I was of course familiar with the lyrics, and what the guitarist was doing-- I could even describe the specifics of the guitar tone... but once I started paying attention to the bassist everything changed. It was like listening to my favorite songs for the very first time. 

The song that might best illustrate this concept is Deep Purple's, Smoke On the Water. It is one of those songs that EVERY guitarist over the age of 25 can play in their sleep. Even non-guitarists are familiar with the iconic tune: "...dun, dun, dun...dun, dun, dun-un. Dun, dun, dun... dun -  dun." Right?! But what was the bass doing? Check out these two videos; first the full song, then a version of the isolated bass track:

Smoke On the Water; 1973



Smoke On the Water isolated bass track:



I have a completely new appreciation for the song from listening to it through this new perspective. Then I started listening to how the bass and drums are interacting... listening to what each instrument is/isn't doing, throughout the song. 

Give it a try with one of your favorite songs. Are there parts that you've overlooked because you were focused on just one aspect? Perhaps you have an overall familiarity with a song, but never focused your attention on just one aspect of it. 

New perspectives can take us to higher levels of understanding-- not just in music, but in our daily lives as well.

'Till next time...

Stay tuned & in tune~

No comments:

Post a Comment