Friday, June 27, 2014

Why the Bass Guitar?


Rickenbacker bass
Even though I am a long-time guitarist, I've always wanted to play bass. It was in fact the bass guitar that sparked a fire within me to pick up the instrument in the first place. The event remains at the forefront of my memory-- I was at a friends house and we decided to watch a music video he had on VHS tape; Rush, Exit Stage Left. I remember watching in awe Geddy Lee playing a Rickenbacker bass. 

At the top of the instrument—its headstock, is what the manufacture describes as a “cresting wave,” a shape that mimics an ocean wave that is cresting. Being that the headstock was not symmetrical, and knowing nothing about guitars at that young age I assumed it was broken. My thought was, “wow! The guy’s instrument is broken and yet he is still playing it—and it sounds terrific!” It was that film, and my subsequent reverence for Geddy Lee (“that guy with the broken guitar”) that inspired me to learn to play guitar. Not knowing the difference between the bass and six-string guitar I ended up with the latter during my senior year of high school. 

My Carvin amp with G&L LB-100 bass
I've enjoyed my guitar adventures over the years, but that desire to play bass never left me. In fact, that desire got stronger the more I began playing in bands. The flashy, "look-at-me!" personality of lead guitar never appealed to me as a player. I enjoy watching those who are good at it, but I identify more with the rhythm guys like Keith Richards, Tom Petty, Joe Walsh-- sure they had great hooks, but I admired them most for their rhythm playing. More and more I found myself being asked to play the part of a more... "type-A" personality-- and thats not who I am. 

So there was a push/pull dynamic happening where both were steering me toward learning the bass guitar. The big day came in the fall of 2013 when I finally decided to accept the challenge of learning bass guitar and purchased a new G&L LB-100, and a Carvin bass amp. I had in mind a test-- if I could learn to play the song the Blues Brothers used to open their shows (Otis Redding's, Can't Turn You Loose) I would focus as much attention as possible to learning the instrument.

It took a little time, but after a few days I had it down, and found it is a great song for me to focus on relaxing my hands while I play-- otherwise my fretting hand cramps up after the tunes first few bars. From that point on I knew this was the beginning of a beautiful friendship!  

'Till next time,

Stay tuned & in tune~

No comments:

Post a Comment