Monday, June 30, 2014

Top Ten Basslines

Recently I came across a Facebook post titled "Top Ten: Most Recognizable Basslines" from the Seymour Duncan blog. While I agree with some of the choices, my list is quite different. Naturally anything that relies on subjective opinions-- especially in music-- is a good way to spark a good conversation. 

Therefore dear reader, I submit my list of Top Ten Basslines; those to which I would direct anyone wishing to better understand my musical perspective.

Not necessarily in any order:

Otis Redding, I Can't Turn You Loose. This is the tune the Blues Brothers opened their sets with, and played it a bit faster than the original. 

Rush, YYZ. Originally began as strictly a drum & bass jam until Alex came in and added his imagination to the mix.

Concrete Blonde, The Sky Is A Poisonous Garden. Singer Johnette Napolitano is a bass playing, kick-butt kind of gal on stage, but a real down to earth person off stage. I challenge anyone to find a more passionate artist than Johnette. If you've never heard of the band, start with their live albums first (Live In BrazilStill In HollywoodRecollection), then check out the studio cuts. Chances are you'll be hooked right away! LOVE the tone from her Stingray bass.

Pink Floyd, Echoes (parts One & Two). Of course some might say One Of These Days has a better bass line, but I think of that tune as a drumming feature-- but the bass lines are very cool! Not only is Echoes enjoyable to listen to, watching it played on the Live At Pompeii video is a real treat.

Pink Floyd, Money. There are so many Floyd tunes that could be listed here, but this is probably the most well known, and very fun to listen to again and again.

Queen, Another One Bites the Dust. Queen was the first band I really got into as a kid, and searched out all their tunes-- something much more difficult to do in the early 1980s, without the convince of the internet and Youtube.

The Police, Walking On the Moon. This is the second tune I learned to play on bass (first being I Can't Turn You Loose). It is simple, but really, really enjoyable to listen to and play. 

Rolling Stones, Jumping Jack Flash. Somehow this one is missing from a lot of folks "top" lists, but a personal favorite of mine. 

Van Morrison, Brown Eyed Girl. I've been known to put this song on repeat while driving around town. It's just one of those tunes that I never get tired listening to... and how many classic songs do you know of that have a bass solo? It's a short list ;)

Finally, I saved the best for last; from my all-time favorite bass player, Donald "Duck" Dun-- here he is with Booker T and the MG's grooving' on Green Onions:

So there you have it. A list this short is pretty difficult to write because there are so many great songs with memorable basselines. A long list would include classics such as KISS, Detroit Rock City, Aerosmith, Sweet Emotion, Deep Purple, Child In Time, and anything from Iron Maiden-- such as Aces High!

With a little luck, these will inspire you to head to the woodshed and practice-- that's what they've done for me!

Stay tuned & in tune~

No comments:

Post a Comment