Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Halfway!

Sunday, July 27

Softer Sunday
After spending saturday at the Scottish fair, my wife & I got to bed early so I'd be able to get up early for Sunday's rehearsal. My first stop of the morning was to get a coffee from Starbucks, then off to the church. There was four of us who arrived early... and we all waited outside for someone who had a key to the building to arrive.

Our Softer Sunday stage from the perspective of our pianist 
As I wrote last week, all the songs on todays list were new to me, but I wasn't at all nervous about playing them-- Mainly because I had plenty of practice, but also because I knew the band and I were on the same page-- we were there for a greater purpose than to play the songs just like the recording; we were there to worship and lead others in worship. As such, the morning went really well. The drummer and I agreed to just go with the feel rather than try to be true to the recording. It worked like a charm.

I decided the most complementary instrument for the days song list was my G&L LB-100, which is their take on Leo's Precision Bass-- the perfect choice. Honestly, any of my basses would have done fine and probably nobody would have noticed one way or the other, but I think it put me in the right frame of mind to forget about the instrument and just play. Those intangibles can be very tangible for the musician.

No comments:

Post a Comment