Thursday, July 17, 2014

My Gig Bag

After five months of searching the web, visiting music stores, etc. I finally purchased a new gig bag for my bass. The winning company is... iGig

My criteria was:
- Ample storage (Boss TU-2 tuner, SansAmp Bass Driver DI, cables, notebooks, etc.)
- Neck protection
- End-pin protection
- Decent straps

The contenders were:
- Carvin soft case
- Reunion Blues Continental
- Mono Case M80
- Mono Case Vertigo
- Gig Glade (soon to be released)

The iGig bag I chose was the model G515. It has a ton of storage capacity, and ticks off all the items on my criteria list. AND its end-pin protection is as good-- or better than the Mono-case Vertigo ;)

A pet-peve of mine is most companies have a nylon section intended to cover the guitars bridge that comes nowhere near the bridge. Not an issue with this one. iGig uses what they call the saddle that is basically a large pocket where the bass body slides into. The saddle also includes padding that suspends the instruments body away from the bottom of the bag-- to protect the endpin from taking a blow.

Anyway, it seems to be a really good gig bag. I'll keep y'all updated as I use it ;)


Three handles: one on the top, in the middle, and at the bottom. Should make it easier to load in & out of my cars passenger seat when parked in a sung parking lot.


Dig those straps! Very comfortable, and the top of the bag extends above my head far less than the others I've tried.




The long padded neck piece is called the "pillow" and is moveable (velcro)


The bag is slightly longer than the G&G case that came with my G&L bass


Slightly wider than the case as well...



This pocket protects the case & instrument, and the additional padding positions between the bottom of the bass & the bag...


You can see how the pads fit below the bass when the instrument is being carried in the bag...


There are some pretty good videos out there both from the designers, and players:
Designers
The Bass Hang
James Ross & Bassist Jahmal Nichols

Hope this helps someone else who may be searching for a worthy gig bag-- BTW, they make them for guitars as well ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment