Tuesday, July 1, 2014

In the Woodshed-- Finally!

Monday; Day 2
     Spent the first hour of practice running through the major scale in a few different locations/positions on the neck. Then played through a few songs I haven't played in a while (Walking On The Moon/ I Can't Turn You Loose). Then found myself noodling around for a few minutes. NO!! I don't want to fall into that trap again. I have a practice plan I found on the No Treble website, and one from a Youtube resource, Scott's Bass Lessons. One of the two (maybe both) stress that mindless noodling is not helpful unless you set aside time to do so. In these practice sessions noodling is not allowed. 

     So to regain focus, I went to Scotts Bass Lessons to focus my second hour of practice. This time, lesson #61 "Walking Bass Lesson #1". I've listened to others talk about walking bass lines before, but I'm not completely sure I know what they are talking about. I figured it was simply an ascending chromatic line of some sort. I've found Scott's method of teaching really helpful, and this lesson is no exception. I made it most of the way through the first video, but my second hour was up and dinner was about ready. I'll have more time tomorrow to work on it and part two.

     Also tomorrow I will post my practice plan, and list a few goals for the project. This is something I should have done earlier, but l get sidetracked easily-- hence one of the main reasons for keeping this blog going during the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment