Monday, July 21, 2014

Pushing Through

Sunday:
That upset feeling in my stomach yesterday afternoon ended up being a stomach flu. Didn't get much sleep, and seriously debated whether or not to stay home. I decided to go to rehearsal and see if I could play or not. It was rough at first-- I was tired, dehydrated, weak, and not very together, but I hung in there.

Having such a bad time trying to hear myself in the headset, our guitarist mentioned I should try a better set of headphones. So I used one of the church's. I forget the make and model, but they were a $300 set... vs. my $50 Carvin set. The difference was amazing. Playing my G&L Jazz bass I could hear myself just fine... maybe slightly less than I would have liked. All the white noise I was hearing through the system last night was canceled out through this pair of headphones. I really was amazed at the difference.
My G&L Jazz bass

We have two services in our main room each Sunday. Amazingly my playing in the first service was some of the best I've played. The uber-quality headphones is one of the reasons I believe it went so well. The second service went well, but I was having a difficult time concentrating and was feeling the effects of dehydration, but again, I got through it.

On a side note, I was super happy with the tone I was getting from my bass. The signal path was my G&L Jazz bass into a direct box, to the board and through the PA. Still, I was happy when the service was over and I could go home and catch up on a bit of sleep.

Still no sleep for me however-- shortly after getting home my wife and I were scrambling to find, scan, and email a handful of documents to our real-estate agent concerning Fridays offer. A l..o..n..g story short, the sellers agents were doing everything in their power to delay-- then kill-- our offer in favor of a Sunday open house through which they expected multiple offers. We are going to sleep on it and decide how to proceed in the morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment